Worried it’s going to show up on a drug test? How long do you need to wait to be clean?
I’m Lawyer Alexandria Serra, this is Lawyer Talk Thursday (catch it every week on Instagram @alexandriaserra), and this week we're busting the top drug test related myths!
Today, we’re setting the record straight on whether your cannabis product will make you pop hot in a lab drug test. Pace reached out to a forensic toxicologist that he’s worked with in previous cases to get the 411. There are always exceptions, but here are the key takeaways:
What to know:
- Hemp products with 0% THC will not cause a positive test.
- Hemp with .3% or below should not cause a positive test but there are some exceptions.
- Delta-8 products are likely to cause positive tests.
- According to our forensic tox, many Delta-8 products contain contamination with Delta- 9 (illegal) THC in Texas. Even that slight contamination can cause a positive test.
- The 30-day myth is not entirely true!
Most people (lawyers included) say that it takes 30 days to get cannabis out of your system. But when you’re talking about everyday consumers, there are significantly more factors in play when it comes to detection (inhaling vs. ingesting, metabolism, etc.).
If you are a heavy consumer, you’ll want to give yourself weeks if not months to pass a urine test.
For the one-time user, your detection window is much smaller (probably days). One time use will not likely be detected in a hair follicle test.
Got any questions about cannabis, drug tests, or your cannabis-related criminal cases? Feel free to email me at: email@example.com