DIY Eviction in Texas

                                                                                                            DIY Eviction in Texas


Got an ex you can’t get rid of? Or any tenant staying in your place without consent or in violation of a lease? It's time to get them evicted!


In Texas, here's what you need to do:

1. Post a written notice to vacate, giving them three days to leave.

If they leave, great, you've already won! If they don't leave within three days, then go to step 2.

2. File suit in the Justice of the Peace Court where the property is located.

To do this, you need to figure out which court has jurisdiction. In El Paso County, Texas, that's easy. You can visit you and you'll find a button that says "search information." Click it and a new screen will open where you can type in your address, click a drop down menu for “County” and you'll see exactly who your Justice of the Peace and Constable are! That's where you want to file your documents. Once you know your Precinct, go to that JP's website and there you'll find all the forms you need for your eviction proceeding. Fill all those out, go to the clerk of the court, pay the fee and you'll get a hearing date.

3. Go to the hearing and win!

It's easy to prove your case! If you are the landlord, you can testify on your own behalf. The other party (the tenant) will also testify. The judge will ask you questions and decide whether or not your tenant will be evicted.

If you win, great! If you lose, you can appeal the decision to the County Court.

Good luck!